Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Me and Rain

My shot at hope.

Rain and I go way back. I was born in the rainiest spring on record. I was born in a downpour and it rained everyday for 2 weeks after that. My farmer Father was entirely beside himself. The bonding time we had however, formed a special connection we have to this day.

Rain and I have always been best buddies. For 27 years it’s rained on my birthday. Without fail. Sometimes just a sprinkle, sometimes a downpour but always without fail.

My HS graduation party was a 30 degree pouring rain event. My college graduation was a rainy night. My uncles took bets on rain on my wedding day.

This May was the 3rd driest on record. June comes and we find out that our Little Angel is making the way to heaven. Along with it comes a rainy June. While I’ve come to accept the facts, I still have my down days and an empty sense of longing I can’t fill.

And then comes rain. Just like clockwork. Just like always.

It’s my shot at hope that maybe God is really working miracles up there. What that miracle is I can’t say for sure, but God knows and that’s what matters.

So rain, rain, rain. Bring on the rain. I won’t mind.

It’s my last shot at hope.

5 comments:

  1. I just read your story. My prayers are with you, your husband and your precious angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read your story and I'm so, so sorry. This post brought tears to my eyes. I thought of the Mercy Me song. Maybe you know it? Here are part of the lyrics. It's beautiful.

    I can count a million times
    People asking me how I
    Can praise You with all that I've gone through
    The question just amazes me
    Can circumstances possibly
    Change who I forever am in You

    Maybe since my life was changed
    Long before these rainy days
    It's never really ever crossed my mind
    To turn my back on you, oh Lord
    My only shelter from the storm
    But instead I draw closer through these times

    So I pray

    Bring me joy, bring me peace
    Bring the chance to be free
    Bring me anything that brings You glory
    And I know there'll be days
    When this life brings me pain
    But if that's what it takes to praise You
    Jesus, bring the rain

    I am Yours regardless of
    The dark clouds that may loom above
    Because You are much greater than my pain
    You who made a way for me
    By suffering Your destiny
    So tell me what's a little rain

    My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read your story as well. Thoughts & prayers are with you & your husband. And you're so right, God does work miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm mostly a lurker on the D&R board, but just wanted you to know I have been thinking of you daily. Keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that song posted above. It's one of my favorites and I thought of it as soon as I read this post.

    I also love this song...

    So stand in the rain
    Stand your ground
    Stand up when it’s all crashing down
    You stand through the pain
    You won’t drown
    And one day what’s lost can be found
    You stand in the rain

    ReplyDelete